Tuesday, November 17, 2009

A little sadness with your morning coffee

Yesterday in an upscale neighborhood a few miles from where we just moved from, a man killed his nine-year-old son. The man, a doctor, his wife, and son lived in a large, beautiful home in one of the most exclusive neighborhoods in Oklahoma City. They belonged to the country club. The child, Tommy, attended private school and was a Cub Scout. From the outside, they had the kind of life that most of us would envy.
How does this happen? Very few details have been released, but we don't need details to know that this goes against everything in the nature of families. I've never understood how someone could hurt a child, but how does a parent hurt their child? I am certain we will hear that there was some kind of mental breakdown, but even so... How does every ounce of your being not tell you that your most important job on this planet is to take care of that precious being that God has entrusted to you? Everything else we do pales in comparison to that task.
My heart goes out to the mother, who has wounded trying to protect her child, and now must live with a horrible burden. How does someone survive that? How do any of us survive knowing that these kinds of things happen?
So hug your kids a little more often. Tell them you love them, you're proud of them, they are treasured. Be thankful for what you have. And let's look out for each other... We're all on this crazy ride together.

2 comments:

  1. My goodness! How scary!! I will pray for that family and pray things like this will end!!

    And I must say your little carrot top is adorable!!! Haha. I think red heads are cute it's just hard picturing them on my child when 1. I'm black and 2. My hubby has blond hair!! Haha. I think when red hair comes as a shock is when people are like "where did that come from!" :) so yay for red heads!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coming to share some coppertop love! My little one is bi-racial and red-headed! Future Mama is scared, but she need not worry! Even about the red hair....

    ReplyDelete